1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)
1 A prophecy of the destruction of Damascus and Ephraim, 7 calamity moveth to repentance.
1 The [a]burden of [b]Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, for it shall be a ruinous heap. (emphasis mine)
2 The cities of [c]Aroer shall be forsaken: they shall be for the flocks: for they shall lie there, and none shall make them afraid.
3 The munition also shall cease from [d]Ephraim, and the kingdom from Damascus, and the remnant of Aram shall be as the [e]glory of the children of Israel, saith the Lord of hosts.
- Isaiah 17:1 Read Isa. 13:1.
- Isaiah 17:1 The chief city of Syria.
- Isaiah 17:2 It was a country of Syria by the river Arnon.
- Isaiah 17:3 It seemeth that the Prophet would comfort the Church in declaring the destruction of these two kings of Syria and Israel, when as they had conspired the overthrow of Judah.
- Isaiah 17:3 The ten tribes gloried in their multitude and alliance with other nations: therefore he saith that they shall be brought down, and the Syrians also.