"We haven't saved any lives tonight, except one: the political life of a governor who wants to be president. We have taken an entire category of firearms that are currently legal that are in the homes of law-abiding, tax paying citizens. ... We are now turning those law-abiding citizens into criminals." - Sen. Greg Ball (R)
Update: Has passed and Cuomo signed it into law.
- Limit ammunition clips to seven. It’s now 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell
them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in
a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.
- Force gun owners to renew their licenses every five years
- Stiffen penalties for using a gun in the commission of a crime
- Stiffen penalties for bringing a gun on school property
- New restrictions on the assault weapons already owned by New Yorkers