Wednesday, August 7, 2013

First Hand Account of Drone At Peaceful Protest

Photo of drone taken at the Save the St. Lucie River and Martin County Wildlife protest in Phipps Park in Stuart, FL on August 3, 2013 ©Nicole Paquette
Below is a first hand account from a former co-worker and friend about this drone.
I was at the Save the St. Lucie River and Martin County Wildlife protest in Phipps Park in Stuart, FL on August 3, 2013 when this little drone popped in on us. It appeared to zip in over the parking lot over to where the people we gathering to protest peacefully I might add!

My husband and I had just walked in and starting talking to the gal who was taking signatures for the petition to stop Lake Okeechobee discharges into the Indian River. The drone flew straight from the parking lot over to the edge of the gathering/protest where my husband, the petition gal and I were standing and talking. We hear a flapping/fluttering above and the three of us look up and there is a drone that just flew up to us right above us about two stories. We all looked at each other puzzled that there was possibly a drone flying above us. We actually all said...."Is that a drone above us?"

I handed the things I had in my hands over to my husband and started taking pictures. It continued to hover over me while I took pictures for a minute or two. Then the drone did a 180 degree turn and flew back over the parking lot and appeared to fly out of the protest. A gal that I knew that was there in a another location at the protest said it did the same thing to her that day and that others saw the drone as well during the protest.

To say the very least this was most unsettling to me. My privacy felt completely violated. I can't imagine a day where I would be followed by drones in public. It just feels icky.

It's almost like "it" saw me taking pictures of it and then took off! CREEPY!!! I didn't think that having a drone hovering over me was an actual reality...other than hearing about it in the news...

I know we are video taped pretty much every time we leave our homes but this is just a whole new level of spin on it. It's not only a floating camera...lol...it's not good in any way on US soil to violate it's citizens privacy....news stations, police, government, military using them...not okay! If a news station wants to take pictures of me, then they need to ask me first. ALWAYS!!! There wont be a day in my life where I think these drones are okay no matter the use. I deserve privacy...its MY fundamental right!

Another thing to think of is yes, people could be using it for filming and pictures for media purposes but when does it cross the line and what else are these images/videos being used for if needed? If we all become desensitized to these "media" drones, they could eventually be everywhere collecting information on everyone all of the time. A bit of line crossing when it comes to my privacy in my mind. I'm not ever doing anything wrong, but I HATE that there are video cameras on every corner. I am going to hate if there are drones flying around in the very near future taking video and pictures of me in public. I am sorry but I do feel very violated. Call me extreme but I think that this is a bit extreme. Just use human beings to take pictures and videos. Do all of you media people want to be out of jobs because drones are replacing humans?...again extreme but very real for the future.
 
We need to make noise about this before "they" start passing laws that allow these drones in our lives everyday. Supposedly "they" are testing drones in specific areas now that aren't announced to see how best these drones can be used. How do we stop this before it gets completely out of hand?
 
Attached is an image of the drone (as seen at the top of the page - Resister) and the protest.
Now this event occurred on August 3rd. Just days earlier on April 28th, Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed a law restricting the use of drones by law enforcement except in extreme cases involving "imminent danger to life or serious damage to property" and when "credible intelligence" from the federal Department of Homeland Security points to "a high risk of a terrorist attack."

So either this was a privately owned drone, a news agency's drone, or some LE agency didn't get the memo.


Maybe Florida needs to offer Drone Hunting Permits too?
 

15 comments:

  1. Too late, the laws have already started passing or been passed. And not enough of America is awake about this or cares. Just another sad day for our rights in the U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot down that drone and some garage hobbyist will probably be mad (and out the ~$1000 it costs). No .gov agency would use a DIY chassis like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it would really suck to be him. I would shoot down something like that hovering over me in a heartbeat.

      Delete
    2. Why would you be so eager to do something so colossally stupid while being filmed?

      Delete
    3. I love this concept of "rights". Why is it your right to absolute privacy? Right to gay marriage, right to life, right to free medical care, right to keep and bear arms. Rights, rights, rights!

      You have no rights but what you can take. Might makes right. Anything else is just a weak argument to some one elses conscience: but they may or may not share your cultural, philosophical and metaphysical background, and thus your pleas may well fall on deaf ears.

      Delete
    4. Anon 11:20
      Doesn't mean YOU have to shoot it. But someone(s), anyone(s), out of the camera's view, should shoot it down.

      Maybe a small grassroots organization, with rotating duties and a twitter or phone tree alert. I think you get the "picture".

      B Woodman
      III-PER

      Delete
    5. "should" shoot it down? What gives you the right to maliciously destroy private property? Did anyone notice that this event was taking place in a park? Where many RC hobbiests go to fly their hardware?

      This bed-wetting over a flying hobby toy from such a supposed pro-liberty crowd is pethetic. It's no better than the hoplophobes on the lunatic left.

      Delete
  3. That's not a government drone. It's a flying camera platform that hobbyist use. http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/dailyrecordnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/1d/71d109d2-eeb5-11e0-b55f-001cc4c03286/4e8b4e44b25c5.image.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't mean a government entity wasn't using it.

      BoarHawg

      Delete
  4. The government grade drones can survey the area from 2 miles up, making them hard to detect or shoot down..... Opps - was that a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take a look at the AR Drone 2.0 it is a hobbyist's quad-copter with a forward facing and a bottom facing camera that works off of an iPhone or Android device. They are fun to play with and an inexpensive recon toy for the average Joe. What you show looks exactly like one and I would believe it was controlled by someone within 100 feet of where you were at the time. I am in no way condoning drones, but I don't think this was a government act. I personally think it was just someone messing with people out in a public place that assumes no privacy by being in public. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To find out who owns it, shoot it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's still alarming to have it happen to you, hobbyist drone or not. Have you been in public yet to be visited overhead by a drone? If not, then just wait. They'll be buzzing around everywhere soon enough. There is a government drone program being tested in anonymous places. Are you really okay with that? Ultimately, you know that the program is going to exploit your rights. If you don't understand that it's going to exploit your rights, then I am sorry for you. Go ahead and get used to these flying around. You'll be sorry for it one day. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/14-colo-areas-proposed-as-drone-testing-ranges-faa-to-pick-sites-for-unmanned-aircraft-system-uas

    ReplyDelete
  8. The amount of ignorance displayed here embarrasses me! First off, this was a hobbyists UAV used to take aerial pictures of a local event for local news. Second, it was there at the REQUEST of the event coordinators! Third, by going out in a public event you are in "Public Domain" and do not need to give permission to be photographed. Lastly, and most importantly, wouldn't you want to photographed as this event was about bringing attention to the cause you were protesting?!,

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are toys, RC, multi rotor . NOT DRONES. They are fun to fly, I have several ranging in price from 50.00 to 6000.00. If you shot mine down believe me you will pay. Say nothing about the damage it might do when it hits someone , or something. I will probably have your photo on my laptop of you shooting! If you are out in public, chances are someone has taken your picture, just look at all the cell phones today. I guess we should destroy them to.

    ReplyDelete