Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sam Culper: Soups and Knives


Sam covers a lot of ground. Read and then read again.
I’m going back through and re-reading Nagl’s Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife.  The name of the book comes from T.E. Lawrence’s observation that, “Making war upon insurgencies is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife.”
 

This morning on a local radio show where I was passing through, the morning talk show hosts were taking calls on whether or not the state should secede.  The score was 8-7 in favor of secession as the voices faded to static, and I was forced to scan the band again.  Sounds like anecdotal evidence of some support to me.
 

I make it no secret that I’m a secessionist.  The states made the federal government, and the states can withdraw from the federal government.  There’s a bloody precedent somewhere in there.  Do I have all the answers?  No.  Am I working on answering them?  I would be a masochist if I wasn’t (or maybe a masochist if I was).  But the moneyed interests and usurped authority resides in DC; a place in which we’ve demonstrated an inability to reign in the money and power, and it leaves us with no choice but to leave the plantation.  We’re slaves, farming for our masters.  We have the skills to work the land, and there’s no reason why we can’t start our own farms.  Thanks to John Ainsworth, I understand that our “federal” government has become a national government; something akin to the serf-lord-king relational monarchies of Old World Europe.  In short, I believe it’s up to us to take that usurped power back but we have to do it at the state level.  The state is our legal and geographical shield, but our resistance to federal tyranny is our sword.  But I digress…
 

I have plenty of thoughts — certainly more thoughts than I had the first time I read it as a buck sergeant in Baghdad, a couple tours ago — and I’d like to share them here.  In the introduction, John Nagl writes, “This book explains how to build military organizations that can adapt quickly and effectively to future changes in warfare.”  As I look at the FreeFor across the States, planning for exile to their bug out locations or to other islands of freedom, I see Americans that are going to have to “adapt quickly and effectively to future changes in warfare.”  For most of you, your starting point isn’t that advanced to begin with (that’s a harsh reality of having no previous military or combat experience, and not a personal indictment against any of you; also it applies only so far as warfare is concerned, and not prepping in general…), and, as they say, the learning curve is vertical.  Everyone needs to read this book, if for no other reason than that it applies directly to making war on insurgencies, resistance movements, revolution, etc..
Read the entire post here.

Much to digest.

1 comment:

  1. ...and since people formed the states, can then secede entirely from same.

    ReplyDelete