Saturday, February 7, 2015

Holster Review: Alien Gear Holster

 
The good people at Alien Gear Holsters asked if I would review their new Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 IWB Holster. Truth be told, I was just looking at them the week before and was considering trying one out. Now I had no excuse not to, since they were kind enough to send me one for this review. I told them I would wear it for 2 weeks before I gave my review. So here we are.

I have been using a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe daily for 6 years now. I carry in the 1 o'clock position, not quite appendix carry but close enough. I'm a big fan of my CrossBreed so I was wondering how the Alien Gear would compare to it. Both have a lifetime warranty (CrossBreed's lifetime warranty does not apply to all items). Both are IWB holsters. Both have similar construction styles. But that's where the similarities end. I'll get to the differences in my review below as they come up.

So when the Alien Gear holster arrived, it came in an black ziplock type plastic bag with their logo on it. Inside was the holster, instructions, and a set of spare parts nicely packaged on a neon green (keeping with the alien theme) plastic backing card, not a bunch of loose parts in a plastic bag. I appreciated the extra thought that went into this. It keeps everything nice and organized. No extra parts are included with the CrossBreed.

I took out the holster to exam it. The first thing I noticed was that the backside portion which goes directly against your body was lined with a thin piece of neoprene. It was soft and slightly spongy and actually felt pretty nice. I can see the benefit of having this against your skin versus leather when it's hot out. The back side also had the T-Nuts already in place for adjustment of the clips if you wanted to adjust the ride height. With the CrossBreed, you have to move the T-nuts to where you want if you want to adjust the clips. On the Alien Gear, the T-Nuts were used to attach the plastic shell with unlike the rivets used on the CrossBreed. I'll explain why this is important further down. 
Against the body Neoprene side of the holster
The other thing I noticed was that the hard plastic shell on the Alien Gear holster covered the entire length of the gun slide unlike the CrossBreed. In addition to that, the 20° cant angle on the Alien Gear was more aggressive than the CrossBreed 10° cant angle. Both holsters can adjust the cant angle by raising one clip and lowering  the other as I have done on my CrossBreed below. The one advantage the CrossBreed has over the Alien Gear in adjustment options is that it has 4 adjustment location holes versus the 3 that the Alien Gear has. However, I did not find it to be much of an advantage. Also, the way the leather is cut on the Alien Gear allows for a firm, full grip on the pistol versus the CrossBreed as seen below. I found this to be very advantageous and practical.

Going back to how the shells are attached, I really like how the Alien Gear is attached versus how CrossBreed attaches theirs. Why? CrossBreed rivets their shell in place, whereas the Alien Gear screws theirs in place. The spacers that are included in the extra parts pack allow for the shell to be raised or lowered to increase or decrease the retention on the pistol. With the CrossBreed, you have to carefully heat up the Kydex and manipulate the trigger guard to give it a more aggressive hold. In this area, the Alien Gear holster wins for convenience and ease.
In addition to being able to adjust the retention much easier, replacing the shell, if needed, is much simpler as well. As much as I love my CrossBreed, I've had to send it back twice to replace the Kydex when it started cracking at the top edge of the trigger guard. Replacement was free per their Lifetime Warranty, but it was a bit of a hassle to have to send in my holster and wait for it to return. There was no way I could replace the Kydex myself as it was attached with rivets. With the Alien Gear, they'll send a new shell and I can replace it right away. Free. Also the shell is thicker than Kydex so it's less likely to crack.

So, that's all well and good, but how does the Alien Gear holster feel while wearing it? Honestly? Pretty darn good. The neoprene side is a little thicker than the leather of the CrossBreed, but not by much and it's very soft and pliable. The one thing I immediately noticed was that it didn't squeak when I moved or bent like leather did. It stayed firmly in place due to the better gripping plastic clips which wrapped around and under the belt. I was always having to adjust the metal clips on my CrossBreed to get them to stay on the belt, especially when I squatted down. Yes, CrossBreed does offer different clips for a more secure hold, but this is what I have. For me, sitting down was always less comfortable with the CrossBreed, as the leather would dig into my upper thigh (1 o'clock carry position, remember?).
I really like my CrossBreed. Having said that, I think Alien Gear took that great hybrid leather/kydex holster idea and improved upon it. A lot. And in doing so, they still managed to produce a holster that is almost half the cost as the CrossBreed They're very much worth checking out. They'll give you 30 days to try it unlike CrossBreeds 2 weeks. And if you don't like it, send it back. They make it almost impossible not to try it. If you do, tell them Resister in the Rockies sent you.

38 comments:

  1. My alien gear extra parts came loose in a bag and the spacers were generic gas hose cut unevenly...they definitely did not look like the parts package in the picture. The shipping time was two weeks longer than told originally. 8 weeks total. Great construction but horrible service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same experience, but as for the gas hose, why not if it works better than some material they would have to special order & it saves both parties money money.

      They must send special packaging to reviewers.

      Delete
    2. Tracy Warren2/27/2015 8:59 AM

      I have a leather AlienGear holster and love it, daily, and am considering the new Cloak Tuck 2.0. I have a shell for each of the pistols I choose to carry. And when I traded a Kahr CM40 for a Springfield XDs45, all I had to do was order my new shell and send AG my old shell. The new shell for my XDs arrived within a week and only cost me the postage to send them my CM40 shell. Now that's service.

      Delete
    3. With mine the shipping time was way to long. Other then that I like it.

      Delete
    4. I don't know why jascon c and Anonymous got there extra parts loose in a bag. I just got my Cloak Tuck 2.0 as described in this review. I am new to ccw, and have not tried other holsters. So far I like the Alien Gear.

      Delete
    5. I have two Alien Gear holsters. My first was an OWB and it came with the loose bag of rubber hose spacers. The second was an IWB and it came with the green spacers. I am very happy with both holsters and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

      Delete
    6. No... the pictured spacers are brand new and have only been out about a month or so. The new spacers are actually ejection molded rubber (I think) and are much better and evenly cut... so gone is the rubber fluid line spacers previously offered with AGH. I actually think the wait times have improved by 50% and I can say this much... any warranty shipments are received within a week of talking with customer service.

      Delete
    7. my parts came loose as well wonder if they would send me one of those mean green cards it would make it so much easier to keep track of IF YOU GUYS CAN PLEASE send me a e-mail tis44tanks@gmail,com

      Delete
    8. You can get 2 holsters from Alien Gear for the price of most other hybrid holsters maybe 3, some are $100 +. I tell anyone looking for a CCW holster to check out a hybrid holster especially from Alien Gear, they conceal very well and comfortable too boot.

      Delete
  2. Aliengear inside the waistban holster is suser at a fair price - comfortable, easy to adjust & makes your gun readily available! Cross breed is good; Alien gear is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALIEN GEAR TOPS CROSSBREED; BOTH ARE TOP QUALITY BUT ALIEN GEAR IN SIDE THE WA INIKE THE WAISTBAND HOLSTER ARE MO RE COMFORTABLE, MORE FLEXIBLE AND LESS EXPENSIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have attended a number of meeting and business events and wore my Alien Gear holster Tucked and concealed with dress pants a n d shirt. Completely Comfortable, unnoticed and concealed, but most importantly ACCESSIBLE! !
    THANKS ALIENS. Totally digging the gear. About time they are getting over due recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Alien Gear Holster is the most comfortable one that I have worn. There is no breakin period, it's comfortable for the first time you put it on. Also if you have additional guns, you can purchase shells and change them out as you change your carry gun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I now have 3 and love the adjustments ,Its just a great system If you want to pay more for a holster go ahead , I didnt and Im very happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Alien Gear Holster is perfect fit for my S&W 38 special and comfortable. The price was reasonable and I'm completely satisfied all features.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I received my Alien Gear combo holsters a few weeks ago as a late Christmas gift (thanks honey) and was excited. I got one OWB and IWB (great price for both) I have been wearing my OWB more times than IWB and absolutely love it, it really hug's against my body.
    I have been in the Security and EP world for a long time and have used a lot of holsters in my time and there are some that I like and some I don't. But when I got my Alien holster and started wearing them OMG! I can't believe how comfortable they are. I have worn my IWB holster a couple of time and can't believe how it conforms against your body at times it doesn't feel like I have a holster on as crazy as that might sound. Thanks Alien gear for a great product Bravo Zulu!!

    Bill.B

    ReplyDelete
  9. My spacers were also generic FUEL HOSE cut to length, poorly. No matter how it was adjusted it couldn't be made to retain the pistol properly. Or be comfortable. I am 6' 175 arguably I'm built like a runner, the only place this holster could be out on me and go was basically right above my wallet or the other free pocket. I bought a left and right handed. I drive a manual transmission so comfort is important to me as this was going to be an EDC rig for me. I had shells for two guns to make a decision as to which side what gun. It just was a frustrating no go for me. To many cut corners and the product I received was evidently in the first run. You guys shouldvevwaited and done the whole production proper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact Alien Gear Customer Service... they will make it right for you. They did for me and why I won't say anything bad about them... ever.

      Delete
  10. I'm a big fan of the Alien Gear IWB Holster. I never owned a CrossBreed and see no reason to go the extra bucks when I'm satisfied with AGH. I don't know how the 2.0 differs from their original but if it's a improvement then it can only make me happier.


    The two things I will complain about is first their OWB needs some improving on design of the attachment for the belt. Secondly within their IWB line I think there's room for a single clip holster at least for compact firearms. I don't need a double clip for a M&P Shield or even my Glock30. I ordered a comp-tac Infidel Ultra for my H&K VP9 (I've yet to receive it) and for my Glock30 I'm using The Edge by Ridgid Holster and it's working very well so far. One hand on, off and not needing to unfasten pants can be a great convenience some times. Really wish Alien Gear had something like these two choices I was forced to purchase elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer the OWB carry method,I bought two Alien Gear holsters for what most Holster Co.s charge for one.I have mine for nearly a month now,and much more comfortable and easier to conceal than any holster I`ve owned.Way to go Alien Gear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that the quality matches its rivalriies and price beats them. All around great holsters. confortable, concealable, and maintenance is slim to none. Impressed people, really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rick Ormandy2/27/2015 10:11 AM

    I have the leather IWB and the Cloak Tuck 2.0..... they are the best .... better than Crossbreed by far. The versatility and guarantee are unbeatable. If I change EDC, I can send in my shell and get a new one....I am an AlienGear customer for life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know just order mine last week , they said it would be 3to 4 weeks before they would ship it.From what I see and the revuse I don't know till I get it.it 's like buying a new gun have to get it in my hands before I know if I like it.From all revuses it sounds good.I to hav e carried for over 40 years.I have never found a carry holster I like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wearing the leather IBW AGH for a year +. Its so comfortable you can forget you have it on. I carry a S&W shield, and a Colt Officers, swap the the shells in about 5 mins. and your ready to go. Great holsater for a great price, and you can't beat the lifetime warranty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I work for agh and we just started using the cards for the spare parts about a month ago the new spacers are injection molded to no more gas hose I love my agh iwb and the owb holsters. I'm not a spokesman for agh I just make them

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Anonymous, The best holster on the market is from N82tactical.com Check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much for the N8 2 tactical holster ( list $70 ) I don't like concealment holsters that have belt clip stacked on side of holster, it is too thick like that IMO. I like the hybrid that put the belt clips on the side to help keep lower profile, this is a fact.

      Delete
  18. I've had an Alien Gear IWB holster for a few months and love it. It replaced a leather holster that cost about three times as much and added a great deal of thickness to the profile. In addition the AG attachment method beat the leather holster hands down. The leather attachment used leather strips with a click attachment that constantly broke free. Not a problem with the AG. I wear the AG from early morning through nightfall and keep forgetting it's there. There have been a couple of times I've accidentally carried into a place that prohibited weapons. On the other hand, it's virtually undetectable by the casual observer so I had no problems. Another plus is that Alien Gear doesn't just sell and forget, they keep in touch. Finally, I fully intend to get my daughter an AG for her weapon if/when she decides to do concealed carry. I would happily recommend AG to anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just bought my first 2 holsters from Alien Gear. I've been a long time customer of the cross company. I have to be totally honest here, my cross holsters are far superior to my Alien Gear holsters, not even close. The AG holsters stink like China plastic. They are a pain to get set up with the right amount of retention, and the tension screws come loose after a few days. The clips are too short, so they are a pain to get up and over the belt and pants. The top part of the holster by the rear of the slide, digs into my skin because the neoprene folds down and exposes the harder, thin vinyl it's sewn to. The soft neoprene/vinyl collapses when the gun is absent, so reholstering is a project, you have to hold the slide so it won't retract, then put all kinds of pressure to open it up, then force it in, find the right grooves by wiggling it, then finish forcing it in, a very big pain. The extra unused grip screw inserts dig into your skin, and their tangs become straight and exposed and can cut your pants or whatever they contact. My cross holsters only have 2 downsides, you pay more for quality, and you have to spend a week breaking them in before they're comfy. But they just work, every time, easy peasy, no stink, no hassles, comfy and functional. I'll be sending these 2 AG holsters back and replacing them with the far superior cross brand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a CrossBreed Supertuck and it is a very comfortable holster. I tried an AlienGear IWB holster. I was so impressed that I bought SIX MORE to cover my primary weapons, and a couple for back-up guns! I wear the AlienGear IWB daily with a full sized handgun - usually a Sig P226, or a 1911, BHP, or Glock 17/19 . A few times I have worn two and they were worn concealed in absolute confidence. This is currently the best holster value on the market. If they would make single and double magazine pouches, there would be no reason to ever patronize another brand!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been using the original IWB Alien Gear holster for a year and a half now to carry my 1911s (all three sizes) mostly my Kimber Ultra CDP ll, I personally don't think that there's any more comfortable IWB holster out there.
    As for part's mine all came loose packed in a baggie and I also opted for a complete set of clips and hardware the spacers supplied were pieces of automotive vacuum hose and I have found this to be a great asset due to the inherent flexibility in the tubing.
    All in all I can't be happier with their system, and of course the price is a BIG plus.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been using two AlienGear IWB holsters for several months. I also bought additional shells to allow me to carry a variety of pistols. The break in period was less than one week per holster and they are very comfortable. One has metal clips, the other has plastic. The clips fit very well on my 1-1/2 inch belt at the nine o'clock position. I was very happy with the selection of shells offered. My heaviest pistol is an Armscor 1911 Tactical and my lightest is a Beretta PX4 sub-compact. The shells are an exact fit and stronger than the Galco IWB holsters I was using. I am very happy they cover the entire slide. I am completely satisfied with my AG holsters and will purchase again. Thanks AlienGear for the quick service, great selection of left-hand holsters, and reasonable pricing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I purchased the Alien Combo deal (an IWB and an OWB). Delivery was about 1 week longer than expected but worth it. Love both holsters. I received 2 spare parts kits, one with each holster (1 in green for the IWB and 1 in black for the OWB). Both parts kits were on an individual "tree" and in a seperate small plastic ziplock bag. I really like the entire barrel, including front sight is inside the holster. Much less chance of front sight catching on clothing when drawing and less chance of front sight wearing a hole in clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The AlienGear IWB holster is new to me and the first IWB i own some times i forget i have it on i dont know what else is out there but this works for me i like the green washers gos good with AlienGear i tell everyone i konw and those who i think will like it

    ReplyDelete
  25. As a firefighter EMT I carry my Glock 23 24/7. I have two other IWB's and have had a bad experience with them. The Aliengear is the best product I have found, and I tell everyone at my station about it. Now their are three at the station. Great job Alien gear.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have really enjoyed my Aliengear. Just purchased 2 more. That tells the story if you purchase more. I have purchase from two other companies and paid a lot more for the same thing.I tell all my friends that carry about Aliengear its a great product.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Only problem with my Aliengear holster is to reholster the gun have to wear pants two sizes to big, my normal size is 34 in the waist and they are not tight. Have to wear size 38 to reholster the gun so I don't use my Aliengear holster.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can't say there customer service is good. It's more like customer no service.I take pride in my word and expect the same from companies I deal with. Hope the product I receive is better then what I am getting from customer service.

    ReplyDelete